Sep 11- Red Light District



I haven't really partied in Hong Kong until last night. I went out a couple nights ago with Jen, my old manager, to a really cool laid back jazz bar, but that was about it. But last night I went out with some of the exchange students for the first time. First we went to Lan Kwai Fong (LKF), which is basically Hong Kong's party central. It's made up of 2 intersecting streets completely full of restaurants and bars. Some parts of Hong Kong remind me of San Francisco because the roads are so hilly and steep, but it's cool because there are steps or escalators everywhere that take you up the hills to different streets. So after bar hopping a bit we went up some stairs and ended up on Hollywood St, which was a completely different scene. LFK was more frat-bar-ish, with mostly everyone hanging outside in front of the 7-Eleven! No joke, amidst all these bars there was a 7-Eleven which was probably the most popping spot. I guess drinks are pretty pricy everywhere, so everyone gets beer at the 7-Eleven first, including us, hah.

But Hollywood St. was the complete opposite, with more upscale bars and a completely different crowd of expats and locals coming out right after work. We met up with Aty, a local girl that some of the guys before who's originally from Indonesia. She seems pretty cool, and apparently goes out every night and knows almost all the spots in HK. After stopping by an ice bar (it's seriously cold as ice, and is an awesome spot to drop by after dying in the humidity), she took us to an absinthe bar. I've drank absinthe before in the States and hated it, but the couple drinks I had of it last night weren't bad. Well, that's what I thought until I woke up this morning.

The next bar we went to was in Wanchai, which I didn't know was in the red light district. I was wondering why the bouncer told me and Romika that we should find him in case someone grabs our ass..until we walked in and found out. Everywhere we turned there was an older man with an Asian prostitute. Yep.

I really like my classmates so far, everyone seems very very cool. I can tell this is going to be a very interesting semester ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment