I took Spanish in high school for 4 years, so I can pretty much understand everything, but can only speak conversationally. So during my trip to Colombia so far I have had a couple mishaps here and there.
I met one of Diana's friends from college the night we went out to Gaira in Bogota, and although she spoke a little English, I wanted to practice my Spanish with her. I wanted to ask her how she knew Diana, so I asked "como sabe Diana?" I realized I said something wrong when she repeated what I said and then looked at me like I was crazy, so I asked Diana what I said. Apparently I asked her friend "how does Diana taste?"
The same night I started dancing with a guy, and again attempted to practice my Spanish. I wanted to ask if he was from Bogota originally, so I said "esta en Bogota?" He also looked at me like I was retarded, and I realized that I asked him "are you in Bogota right now?" He stopped dancing with me soon after that.
I guess I'm more confident speaking Spanish when I drink, because later that same night I tried speaking again with Diana's brother. He went to a soccer game earlier that night, so I wanted to ask him how it went, and said "como eres futbol?" Of course he started laughing, because what I asked was "how are you football?"
My last Spanish mishap happened during our boat ride to Playa Blanca in Cartagena. We were all angry because they wanted us to pay 6000 pesos in tax when we got on the boat, even though we already paid the tour in full beforehand. Diana and Elif were in the back of the boat and had already paid, but me, Mirella and Paula didn't know what to do and were arguing with the driver. I tried to tell our tourguide that he didn't tell us that we had to pay this extra charge, so I said "no digame!" I was furious when he turned and walked away, but later on Diana told me that I told him "don't talk to me!" Ay dios mio.
No comments:
Post a Comment