

We reached Krabi Thursday evening, and stayed in a guesthouse in Krabi Town. There isn't too much to see or do in Krabi town, which is typically just a stop-over to one of the islands. So we just got some really good food from a night food market close by and passed out early. The next morning we took the first ferry to Ko Phi Phi, about 2 hours away. The island is super developed and very touristy, but is gorgeous. There's a huge number of expats who opened up small shops on the island and basically live on huts on the beach. Ko Phi Phi is famous for diving, so the island is full of dive schools and shops. If we had more time there I would've definitely gotten my diving certificate, but I think that would be my next adventure.

After checking in the hotel and grabbing some lunch we joined a half day boat tour around the islands. We visited Monkey Beach (literally a beach full of monkeys), Maya Bay where we snorkeled and kayaked, Phi Phi Leh (where DiCaprio's The Beach was filmed), and had dinner on the boat while watching the sunset. I've never seen so many beautiful colors in a sunset than I have in Thailand. Words can't even describe how beautiful these islands are, so take a look at the pictures :) It was a perfect day, beautiful, peaceful, and serene, can I just move here? I'm seriously considering moving to an island in Thailand for a couple months. That night we grabbed dinner and bar hopped around around the island. It's basically run by expats, and there are very few locals on the island, but it's definitely very fun and worth seeing.

Romika left to go back to Hong Kong Saturday morning (miss u!), so me, Mable and Tracy took a ferry to Ko Lanta, another nearby island. It's not as developed as Ko Phi Phi, and tourism is just now on its way up, but it was a nice change from Ko Phi Phi. It's a beautiful almost untouched island with mostly locals, and is perfect for couples and honeymooners. We stayed at the Lanta Nice Beach Resort, which was really nice! We found out too late during our trip though that we could've gotten much cheaper rates for places to stay if we didn't book in advance and instead bargained as soon as we landed on the islands. People we met found huts on the beach for $300 Baht/night, or $9 USD. We were worried that places would be full if we didn't book in advance, but there are plenty of accommodations.

Once we reached we took an elephant trekking tour, where we rode on elephants for an hour and then hiked to a really beautiful waterfall. That night we had Indian/Thai fusion at the hotel (which is bomb by the way), and then went to a beach party with an awesome local reggae band. We met some really cool American guys (the most Americans I've met in the past 4 months!), and although we were only planning on staying for a couple hours, we ended up staying for a quite some time ;) There are literally millions of stars visible from Thailand, and I think I saw about 9 shooting stars in that one night.
One thing I've noticed is that not many Americans travel to Asia, and most of the internationals that I've met during these past 4 months have been Europeans or Australians. The Americans that I have met have been really cool and well-traveled, but I wonder why there are so few of them. I am one happy American in Thailand though, and if you happen to pass by a fire dancing/diving school on a Thai island in a couple years, if might just be mine :)
No comments:
Post a Comment