Nov 8- Stanley Beach

I haven't really explored Hong Kong that much yet. Between school and traveling, we haven't had much time to do any sightseeing, and other than the Peak I haven't seen much at all besides Lan Kwai Fong (the nightlife district). I'm excited for my friend Angel to visit because that will actually give me a reason to do all the touristy things. It's quite sad, but I never did any sightseeing in New York until two weeks before I moved! Those two weeks after I quit my job and before I moved were amazing though. The weather in early August was perfect, and I dragged all my friends to be complete dorky tourists with me. We went to the MOMA, Brooklyn Museum, Orchid Show in the Bronx, Water Taxi Beach, concerts at the McCarren Park Pool, the Philharmonic in Central Park, walked across the Brooklyn Bride and went to the famous Grimaldi's Pizza, The Bronx Zoo, and so much more. God I miss New York. Can you believe that I lived on Water St. for an entire year, with an awesome view of the BK bridge, and I never walked across it while I lived there?? All these amazing things that I just kept putting off. So what exactly was I even doing? It's sad how we take so many things for granted because we're so sure they are always going to be there. I never visited the Twin Towers because I always thought I had time to visit some day. That some day was actually the day they came crashing down, from Washington Square Park on my way to my first class freshman year. Moral of this story? I should get my ass up and go see Hong Kong.

Apparently there are a number of different beaches in Hong Kong, either on Hong Kong island itself, or just a ferry ride away to a neighboring island. I always imagined Hong Kong beaches to be dirty and crowded, but someone told us that we must go see Stanley Beach, at the very bottom of Hong Kong Island. So this past Sunday, me, Romika, Mable, Celine, and Jean-Luc took an hour long bus ride to Stanley Beach. And let me just say, wow. It didn't even feel like we were in Hong Kong, it was like another world. The bus took us up and then down a beautiful mountain, and the scenery was just spectacular. Everywhere you turned there were mountains, islands, and beach. One of my favorite cities in the world so far is Positano, Italy, and this part of Hong Kong reminded me so much of it. The weather was perfect, sunny and in the 70's, the beach was clean, and the water gorgeous. We chilled on the beach for a while, swam a bit, and then walked around the Stanley Market. It's definitely very touristy, and compared to regular Hong Kong prices, way too overpriced. But the atmosphere is incredibly nice. There are also quite a few other beaches around Hong Kong that are just as nice but not as touristy, such as Big Wave. If the weather stays nice I'll definitely go again, but I can't believe what I've been missing the past couple months!

No comments:

Post a Comment